I certainly look at museums to see what is happening in experience design, but the California Academy of Science was also on my list for architectural reasons. With a new natural environments gallery planned at QM I couldn’t help but be jealous of their live animals, bio-dome rainforest and aquarium environments, huge ceiling spaces, and great forecourt.
Fave museum design ideas to steal =
- Centralised “stage” in natural lighted area put public programming literally in the middle
- “Lab’ area showing current works and research in development
- Immersive theatre experience
- Building as “science experiment” and with sustainability measures built in for visitor awareness (eg- number of water bottles saved by those using drinking taps)
- Museum going outside with “curated’ landscape design with local plants and tags with scientific names in surrounding gardens