Via BOSS Fin Review (p 8, June 2011) describing IDEO process in the new book The Klutz Book of Inventions.
- Dignity is the enemy of invention
- Laughter is an expected by-product of all IDEO brainstorming sessions
- 3 essential ingredients = magic markers, stickynotes and sugar in some form
- 5 IDEO brainstorm rules: 1) deter judgement 2) go for quantity 3) encourage wild ideas 4) one converstaion at a time 5) build on the ideas of others 6 be visual – use sticky note sketches
- Step 1) 5 mins = single ideas on sticky notes > Step 2) sugar > Step 3) another 5 min round > Step 4) group build
- Group build = people presents sticky notes to group > people add further ideas (with caveat noone says anything negative about ideas)
- “Quality, remarkable, took care of itself”…”we threw a lot of balls up and some of them inevitable, went in”